Adis's Department Director added:
My son's first birthday was spent in the Bone Marrow Transplant Unit. His belly was swollen with fluid and he was so very tired, but the hospital had gotten him a cake and party hats, and I had saved a toy, a bubble-blowing-fan-gun, just for this special day. I knew the package contained the needed battery, but didn't know until it was opened that I would need a screwdriver to open the case and put the battery in. The nurse's station had nothing that would work. On my way back to our room I bumped into Adis and asked if he could help. He took the toy and returned after a few minutes with battery installed and everything back together. Now, my son didn't have the energy to play with any of his new toys from friends and family; he didn't even have the energy to smile. But when those bubbles streamed into his crib his eyes lit up and he reached out to grab a few! Later that evening, after the ‘birthday party' was over, my son's oxygen level started dropping. They put various masks over his mouth and nose, and pumped more and more oxygen from the wall into the tube, but his oxygen kept dropping. He stopped breathing and was intubated around midnight - it was the worse night of my life. Finding that small screwdriver may have only taken five or ten minutes out of Adis's day, but it gave me the only good memory I have of my son's first birthday. Words cannot express the gratitude I feel for him for that!
Adis, thank you for your outstanding Service Excellence and all you do for our patients and families and congratulations for being selected the All Children's Hospital Employee of the Month!